Saturday, May 22, 2021

Thank you, Asia "We will be in good hands" (9 days until Green Bay)


Yesterday I said good-bye to my two classes of seniors.  The Class of 2021 has had to be far more resilient that classes in recent history.  (A pandemic will do that.)  We concluded the year together with a bit of sharing.  The question was: If you were to give the graduation speech, what would be your central message?  (My apologies that what follows is only paraphrase as their words were far more eloquent.)



  • Failure is a part of life; that's okay.
  • Look within for who you are.
  • Find your true self within, not outside of yourself - from culture or society or who your family expects you to be.
  • Connection to one another is what matters.
  • Let your path unfold.  
  • You are worthy.
  • Sometimes when you think it went wrong, it actually went right.
  • It's all about unconditional love.
  • Life is about living experiences - not working to get good grades and getting into universities.
  • Let go of thinking you must always have control.
  • Change happens, and that is as it should be.

Perhaps you can see and feel, as I do, the collective wisdom of these young adults.  It is heartening to me to know that as my generation relinquishes leadership and power to the next generations, these young people are among those preparing to step up.  

It has been a great pleasure and honor to teach these and many other young people over my eleven years in Korea and Hong Kong.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!