Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Thank you, Asia "An open letter to HKIS" (13 days until Green Bay)

 Dear HKIS,

We have had seven amazing and eventful years together.  You were my employer, my foundation for friendships, and the school for my children from fifth grade through twelfth grade.  

As my employer you stretched me to teach subjects that were virtually unfamiliar to me (Humanities II and French 1).  And you allowed me to teach subjects I love (Junior English and AP Literature). You asked me to coach and shepherd students in the Drama Club and Forensics Speaking club.  We travelled all over Asia Pacific with some incredible success.  With your facilities and support for creative curriculum, my own students enjoyed all sorts of experiences in and out of the classroom.

The many administrators over these years - Patrick, Brent, Lauren, Sue, David, Carrie, Linda, Don and Ron - supported me professionally.  Sometimes it was performance assessment and reviews which were somehow never as intimidating as at other schools; sometimes it was by making the faculty a pancake breakfast. The fact that your leadership cared about me as both employee and human being mattered. 

My colleagues became friends (and in some cases friends became colleagues)!  We celebrated Christmas together singing carols at the main gate.  We watched in awe as school spirit manifested in games and class videos and lipsyncs.  When Covid-19 forces us to shut down the campus and go virtual, your capable leadership teams found ways to keeping us moving forward online while still caring for our well-being.

My children experienced everything from learning opportunities in the classroom to PEAK and Interim trips as well as Self-motivated learning projects in Middle School and, for Alec - choir.  I watched gratefully as the school supported Adam coming out as transgender at his eighth grade graduation - the name being printed in the program as Adam for the first time.  And when Alec sang solo bits including "My Shot" from Hamilton, I couldn't have been more proud.  In the care of colleagues and friends, my own children were supported through thick and thin.

And the students themselves have also been a great support and joy to work with.  I have loved coming to school each day and class each day where I can be myself and teach subjects I love with students who are open and polite and engaged. You have been willing to do some silly things along the way. One of my favorite events of each year has been the National Honour Society students putting on a Thanksgiving Dinner with food and entertainment for faculty.  What an affirmation we receive from personal notes to videos.  Such expression of gratitude fuels me for months afterward. 

While certainly there have been more ups than downs, the very elements themselves have challenged you. Your campus itself suffered damage at the hands of Typhoon Mankhut.  Incredibly, you rebuilt back better.  And the building improvements, changes, and even new building projects at the other divisions were absolutely jaw-dropping. (I can't wait to see the high school campus  5 -7 years from now when the current plans have been executed).

And so, as we hit just over a week of school left, I give my deepest gratitude to you, HKIS.  You have supported me in every way imaginable.  

Thank you.  Merci.  唔該

Brenda Brayko

Carolling at the gate for students as they enter. 

Social at the Braykos - Janet and Chris win the drink mixing competition
Brent (Assoc. Principal) and Patrick (Principal 2014-17)

HS Christmas party at Sugar, a rooftop bar in HK.

2014 photo of the women in the Humanities Department (AKA Wombies)

Seniors show what school spirit looks like

Adam's 8th grade graduation attire, first official day as Adam

Alec's eighth grade graduation day (hint of blue in his hair)

Drama Club ready for APAC

Forensics competitors at ISKL

Brent (and all HS administrators) making pancakes for the staff

Typhoon damage

AP Literature students re-enacting Hamlet

Adam nostalgically overlooking the middle school campus before graduating in 2020

All photos by © Brenda Brayko.  All rights reserved. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!