Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Educational practices" (19 days until Green Bay)

I'm steeped in what is perhaps the last "stack" of e-portfolios to grade in my teaching career.  Portfolio assessment is something I have been passionate about for two decades.  For the past few years I have been able to revamp the AP Literature course here to be rooted in standards based grading and portfolio assessment.  

Actually, the school itself is shifting in the direction of standards based grading.  This is a far cry from educational grading and assessment as I knew it 30 years ago;
everything was counted and in the end a magic number dictated a grade.  Over the past years at HKIS quite significant shifts in grading and assessment have been part of the landscape.

Just today I was talking to a colleague about professional development opportunities.  For much of our time in Asia we have had amazing professional development opportunities at our fingertips.  Sometimes it meant guests on campus for a week to support our growth; sometimes it meant funds provided for online courses or workshops in HK or elsewhere in Asia.  At any rate, such opportunities supported and stretched me as an educator.  

What a blessing to be supported in these ways so that I leave more well-rounded and capable than when I arrived. Thank you, HKIS and KIS.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!