Saturday, May 15, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Stanley Market" (16 days until Green Bay)


 Just 16 days from flying out and I had to make one more shopping run to Stanley.  Stanley is a lovely little town on the Southside of Hong Kong Island only five minutes away from us.  

Pre-Covid when tourism was "a thing" this town's little market would be hopping all weekend with Mainland China visitors and foreigners on vacation.  More than one year into the pandemic and poor little Stanley Market is hurting for customers.  I was glad to put a little money into their economy while at the same time purchasing items that it would be difficult to find elsewhere. 

I knew I wanted to buy a few sarongs for beach trips or just sitting around.  I also thought I would like a nice version of the waving kitty. But I ended up buying a few more items with the future in mind, too.  


I found the sarongs right away.  The man who sold them to me has been working in the same little shop for as long as we have lived in Hong Kong.  He can't speak coherently, but always manages to communicate. 

At Cham's Artware Factory I somehow spotted this amazing amethyst waving kitty.  Amethyst is the gemstone of Korea and represents the notion of wealth.  The owner explained that the character on the kitty's tummy meant wealth and that it calls wealth to come to you.  She said it was meant for me as I have been the only person in two years to actually notice it.  Purple is my favorite color these days and I like the idea of a sculpture I can put in my home that can remind me both of Korea, China and Hong Kong. 

Then I found a few other bits that I thought might work well in my future study or gong studio.  Pillow covers from China (embroidery on silk) and a dream catcher made in Thailand.  The dream catcher is both the colors of the chakras and the pride flag.  And since there is no trade with Thailand these days, their dwindling supply of items from Thailand made this a bit of a gem.  

If you are interested in seeing a bit more of the market, watch the videos here.  Thank you, Stanley, for bringing items from around Asia right to my door.  I will miss the variety, color, and international flavor of it all.  But I am bringing a piece of you home with me.  



A few bonus shots of Stanley follow: Stanley Plaza, my favorite humungous rubber tree, the view of the ocean and other islands, Smugglers Bar (where the walls are lined with currency from around the world) and the flower lady's roadside flower shop with the Chinese Banyan growing out of the wall. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!