Saturday, May 1, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Manifesting Korea in Hong Kong" (30 days until Wisconsin)

 I think I have been reminiscing about Korea too much.  Everything came at me at once recently.  By the end of the day I felt like I had been in Korea once again. And I have to say it was an amazing day.  

For lunch I was at a vegan restaurant in Central named Fresca.  They had a few Korean options, which I chose.  One was "jjapjae" - a glass noodle dish.

Just a few hours later I was in Stanley.  I headed into Watson's to get a water and spotted Chilsing Cider, a soda pop beverage I'd not seen since our life in Korea.  So I bought it and enjoyed it very much!

A few hours later I received a Facebook message and video from a former Korean student from Green Bay, Yunji.  I'd not heard from her in months but here she was sending a short video of driving by our place in Korea, Goodmorning Hill.  What?

Goodmorning Hill April 2021 
Video Credit: Yunji L. 

A few hours later Brent and I were at our first Korean BBQ in years. I had been hankering for Korean BBQ and wanted to be sure to have some before we left Hong Kong.  Dave and Theresa knew of a great place in Causeway Bay called Seorae.  It WAS a great place.  

Theresa, Brenda, Brent, Dave awaiting the meat for the BBQ

Dave and Brent especially enjoyed resurrecting their Korean to order beer "mekchu" and calling a waiter over with "yogiyo!"  We also loved having the call button on the table as they do in Korea.  We loved making our little bite-size meat in lettuce wraps and eating lots of kimchi and side dishes.  Just like old times.  Although Dave and Theresa had lived in Korea after we left, we had many shared experiences as we had lived in nearby dongs and had worked at KIS.   It was a delightful way to be transported back to life in Korea for a few hours.  

Side dishes and sauces.

Yummy Kimchi
Hite mekchu

Meat on a grill (Photo Credit: Tim Bray)

The evening finished with a rooftop bar at Alto where we could see over Victoria Harbour.  Life felt almost pre-Covid and back to normal.  Thank you for my virtual day in Korea, Hong Kong!

The view from Alto.  Alas, not many more opportunities to see this view of Hong Kong. 

Photos by © Brenda Brayko unless otherwise noted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!