Thursday, May 13, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Self-care" (18 days left until Green Bay)

I see that over the course of my "Thank you, Asia" series I have written about various kinds of practices that I either have engaged in or do engage in which feed my mind, body, or soul.  Or sometimes all three at once.  While I would like to write about this specifically in the near future, for now I would like to reflect on the notion of self-care in general.

Self-care is a relatively new concept to me.  Balance - yes - that was a part of my lexicon since I was in high school.  But Self-care is a bit different.  To me it means taking time out of your busy day for you and you alone.  I also call it "me-time".   I began being conscious of my need for self-care when Adam first shared that he was not born into the right body; he was transgender.  In that moment, after the initial shock of it I thought, "This is going to be TOUGH, I had better figure out how to take real good care of myself - and quick - in order to take good care of him and my family."  Self care has been a central understanding ever since that day 5+ years ago. 

Recently, I have started a group here in Hong Kong for moms of transgender children (mostly teens).  I dubbed our group "Super Moms" and gave each a pin with "Super Mom" on it to remind ourselves that we are just that - Super. Moms.  Being a mother is a difficult role to hold in general.  Being a mother of a child who is wishing to transition or is in the midst of transitioning from one gender to another is Super Hard.  It is worrying, draining, all-consuming, expensive, and overwhelming.  A few of my Super Mom friends are going it alone as single parents, too!  And so the notion of self-care is at the forefront of my mind when I think of them.  

After our initial meeting a few months ago, I sent a list with ideas for self-care because I wanted these amazing women to prioritize themselves more than they had been.  Here is a screenshot of my texts.  


In a way, this is a list that could only have been generated after living the life I have had this past decade.  Thank you, Asia, for providing the time, space, and culture to create such a list as this.

My hope is that all of my readers recognize how important self-care is all of the time, but especially when you are in the midst of on-going stress or challenge.  Perhaps you would like to practice. . . 

Here is a compassion meditation that I love.  Give it a go.  First you bless someone you love.  Then an acquaintance.  Then someone you presently dislike.  (That could be challenging, but still do it!)  Then YOURSELF!  Say the words with each individual in mind and heart.

May you be well.
May you be happy.
May you be safe.
May you be peaceful.
May you be loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!