Saturday, April 3, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Wild pigs" (58 days to go)

 For five years, we were entertained by butterflies and kites and giant spiders.  Then one day I was out for a walk near home and I saw a wild momma pig and 5 tiny babies literally walking on the sidewalk ahead of me!  I kept my distance but managed to get a bit of video of the momma and one piglet after the others scampered up the hill.


Thus began a love-hate relationship with the pigs in our neighborhood.  At first we thought they were cute, hanging out on the hillside, eating plants, sleeping, and curious about people but not too much.




But before long, humans decided it was a good idea to feed them.  Thus began the issues with pigs and more pigs - generations of pigs - unafraid of humans, walking in the street with us, toward us, or next to us in search of food.  


And search they did.  For about a year and a half, every morning walk I took consisted of picking up garbage that had been strewn the night before by pigs forcing their way into public garbage cans.  After months and months of this (and an ever-growing issue with garbage, in general due to the pigs), the city installed "pig-proof" public garbage cans.  I can say, even one of those was destroyed by the feisty, hungry pigs.  

Most of the time they were docile enough, but I did have a scare once when a mother and three babies surrounded me looking for food.  Rigby was no help!

Well, something has happened to the pigs.  They have all been gone now for a few weeks.  Or, I thought that was true until I spotted one, lone, fat adult near our school again.  

I truly didn't think I would move to Hong Kong and find wild pigs in my neighborhood!  But, that is what makes life so interesting - the unexpected surprises.  Thank you, Asia. 

Photos and video by © Brenda Brayko.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!