Sunday, April 4, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Giant Insects" (57 days left in Hong Kong)

A-bug! in Thailand
 My parents will be the first to tell you the story of when I was little and nearly killed my grandmother because I was so scared of a bug.  She didn't know that the reason I was grasping at my heart with a terrified look and speaking incoherently was not, in fact, a heart attack, but a terrified little Brenda who had seen a "bug-a-bug-a-bug-a-bug!"

Imagine my joy moving to Hong Kong where everything seems to be oversized!  Including the spiders, my biggest phobia of all.  Strangely enough, I believe in some ways I have had to face my fears and thus have overcome them, thanks to Hong Kong.  

In addition to Giant Orbs there are giant walking sticks, huge praying mantis, cicadas, ants and lovely, butterflies.  The mosquitos are smaller than back at home in Wisconsin.  And we rarely encounter flies.  But, as you know, the Asian Bees are potentially killers. (Did I mention I react quite poorly to bee stings?)

Two praying-mantis insects "in sex"
This cutey was on our campus
A giant walking stick near our home.  They come in green, brown, and gray.


A lovely butterfly on our campus

One time I was taking a picture of what I thought was a dead giant spider on the ground - rather close up, I may add - and upon stepping away was entirely startled when the darn things scampered up its thread into a tree overhead.  Woohooy!



I thought this was dead!

Of course, I have run into even MORE giant insects while traveling.  Along with the first photo, here are a few pictures from an insect attraction in Chiang Mai, Thailand. 


A giant preserved dung beetle (Thailand)

A giant living moth (Thailand)

Thank you, Asia, for introducing me to another world of insects.  I think!

Photos by © Brenda Brayko.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!