Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Balance" (55 days left in Hong Kong)

You may be surprised to think that someone could leave live in Green Bay, Wisconsin (population 100,000) with the intent of finding life balance in cities of millions of people.  But, the truth is, that was a factor in our decision to leave and it actually happened.  

First, let's look at the work to family to self ratio in Green Bay.  I was working at a full time job of teaching three classes (totally over 90 students) and running the International Baccalaureate Program as coordinator.  I brought work home every night and spent about 10 -15 hours per week working beyond my 40 hours. I had a six year old and a nine year old at home.   I had very little time for myself but managed to walk 30 minutes a day in the morning and work out at the YMCA about 2 - 3 times per week.  My husband and I found ways to do occasional date nights.  

Now let's look at Korea.  I had a full-time position with 4 classes totalling about 65 students.  I was also in charge of the Forensics program, which meant three trips with kids each season. My children were still young.  We took on a part-time helper who cleaned and did laundry for us each week.  My husband and I went on date nights with greater frequency.  I still walked every day and exercised 3 - 5 times each week.  I joined book club for the first time ever.  I had time to read, write a blog, and explore Seoul on the weekends.  I worked at home on school work about 10 hours on average each week. We vacationed as a family far more often and for longer stretches.

And finally, Hong Kong.  Here I worked at 80%, still with 4 classes.  I was responsible for around 70 students on average - sometimes less.  I brought work home about 7 hours per week outside of school. I again joined book club. My children were older, which in some regards was less work and in other regards just as much work or more.  In fact, with Adam's transition, I was sure to not work full-time so that I could maintain some healthy balance.  I took up playing the gong, continued to write and journal, added daily meditation, and continued walking each day, and read a lot.  Further exercise has fluctuated between 3 - 5 days per week.  Aside from the Covid-19 era, our family continued to vacation and travel during the several breaks at school. This final year, we hired a full-time live-in helper who cooks and cleans and grocery shops. 

Add to all of this the fact that in both Seoul and Hong Kong we had amazing access to both nature (hiking, walking trails, biking, etc along or near water and woods/mountains) and access to city (restaurants, entertainment of various kinds).  This, too, created its own balance.

I find the older I get the more I want to give to my family and myself and the less I want to give to my career.  I do the best I can and always have.  But, if I had to put money on it, I would say my life has had greater


balance in Asia.  I hope to take that balance with me as I return to Wisconsin older and maybe a bit wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!