Thursday, March 11, 2021

Thank you, Asia "Butterfly for the day" (81 days left in HK)

March 11, 2021

"Butterfly for the day!"

It is a phrase I have used for seven years.  I never cease to be amazed at the abundance of butterflies in Hong Kong.  I love walking on the trails near our home and seeing so many butterflies, at least one every day.  

At one point I counted twelve different butterfly neighborhoods while on my walk.  That is to say, while on the walk I passed through a section with one species of butterfly only to walk a bit farther and pass through an area with another species.  Over the course of my 40 minute walk I encountered twelve different "neighborhoods."  See the video here for a glimpse of one such place.  I simply sat under a tree and filmed.


We even have butterflies on our campus.  Mostly big black ones with some brilliant white and blue on their wings.  Unfortunately, they often die there too, so that students and teachers alike must step over them on the steps and walkways. 



While on a trip to Thailand, my friend Helen and I came across a butterfly garden with some of the largest species in the world!  Amazing. 



My favorite memory is walking with the family along the catchment to Stanley accompanied by a butterfly who seemed to want to show us the way.  Thank you, Asia, for the beautiful butterflies each day.


And just for good measure, here is a moth! Photo credit: Adam Mitchel


Photos by © Brenda Brayko unless otherwise noted.  All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!