Sunday, March 21, 2021

Thank you, Asia. "Book Clubs" (71 days)

March 21, 2021

Until  moving to Asia and slowing down my life a bit, I had never joined a book club.  True fact!  I know it is strange to think it, but my life as an English teacher meant I was always and only reading what my students were reading.  Well, with a better work-life balance, I have been able to join a book club both in Seoul and in Hong Kong.  In both cases, the book club was with colleagues from the school.   

At KIS we would meet in people's apartments - maybe 15 people at a time to talk about whatever fiction or non-fiction book was on deck.  We read several books that informed us of what it was to live in and escape from North Korea.  When Jackson Kaguri (originally from Uganda) was in Seoul visiting our school to promote his school for AIDS orphans, he met with our book club to discuss his book A School for my Village (see also my blog on Service for more about Jackson). 

Book Club with Jackson Kurguri April 19, 2011  Photo Credit: Kris Feller


At HKIS we would meet in the library where our librarian, Ann, would plan just the perfect menu to accompany our text.  She also would get in touch with authors whenever possible and follow them on Instagram.  We even met with an author online once. 

Ann hosting the perfect menu for All the Light We Cannot See  Photo Credit: Jennie Purvis

Thank you, Ann, for the master list of books from book club at HKIS.  

2016-2017

Language of Flowers
All the Light We Cannot See
A Brief History of Seven Killings
The Circle 
Dragonfly 

2017-2018
My Name is Asher Lev
Falling Upward
Evicted
Romeo and / or Juliet
When Breath Becomes Air 
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Hillbilly Elegy


2018-2019
A Gentleman in Moscow
The Girl with Seven Names
Born a Crime
Educated
Becoming
Milk & Honey and The Sun & Her Flowers

2019-2020
Circe
Bellwater Rhapsody
When All is Said
The Suspect
The Moment of Lift

2020-2021
The Silent Patient
The Winemaker's Wife
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Quiet
If I had your face  
Stamped--April 15th
The Midnight Library--end of the year
This Tender Land and Of Women and Salt--summer and August

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment!